Ms/Mr Positive | George Hinman
June 3, 2018
Introduction: In chapter 4 Paul calls on his brothers and sisters in Christ to rejoice in their relationship with the Lord. He summarizes the things they should focus on in order to walk closely in that relationship. His point is clear, celebrate everything good. By dwelling on the good and practicing the good, they will experience the God of peace in their whole being.
Prayer:Lord, let us see how our life and our thinking can be based on this great summary text in Paul’s letter to the Philippians. Amen.
Review: How did the instructions of Jesus as he sent out his disciples affect you this past week?
- How is our thinking important to our faith and our actions? Explain.
- “If anything is excellent or praiseworthy…” give some examples of what this may mean to you.
- How does the “positive thinking” instruction of this text differ from our cultural understanding of “positive thinking”, or does it? Explain.
- Read Romans 12:2; does this verse help us to follow Paul’s instructions in Philippians?
Read Jeremiah 29:15; what does this verse tell us about God’s thoughts, even to a rebellious people?
- Does this text warn us against “negative” thinking? Explain.
- Why is peace so important to Paul that he refers to the “God of peace” in closing?
Application: Focus your thought life this week on the pure, the true, the noble and whatever is lovely.
Pray: Lord, we pray for our mindful attitude this week, in all things. Amen.