Evergreen | The Truth About Human Nature | Tim Snow
The Truth About Human Nature
July 8, 2018
Introduction: In the opening chapters of Genesis we see the love of God expressed tangibly in God’s creative work. Once human beings are created, we see God’s love expressed relationally – relational love being a core characteristic of the three persons within our triune God – Father, Son and Spirit. As chapter 3 opens, the relationship between God and humanity faces a new threat – the crafty serpent Satan.
Prayer: Father God give us understanding of this passage as we look at how our ancestors misunderstood your goodness and their identity. Help us sort out our identity in light of your persistent and gracious love for us. Amen.
Read: Genesis 3:1-7
Review: How were you able to express God’s love in the Covenant Community of UPC? (Or in your local church?)
- The serpent was crafty. Or in other words he was clever at achieving his aims by indirect or deceitful methods. What was crafty about what he asked? What is crafty about who he asked?
- Were the serpent’s statements true or false?
- Check God’s commands to the man in Genesis 2:16-17. How did the woman’s answer differ from the words in Genesis 2? Where have you added to God’s rules for you?
- Is knowing good and evil better than knowing only good?
- How did the serpent’s words distort the woman’s relationship with God? How is her identity as a child of God shaken?
- Verse 6 lists the woman’s reasons for desiring the fruit. What similar reasons do you think up when you are choosing what to do?
- What is the first result of eating the fruit? How did the man and the woman try to fix their new problem?
Application: What distortions about your identity in Christ do you have trouble getting out of your thoughts? How do these words from scripture help you? Try John 1:12; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Romans 8: 1-2,17; and John 15:15. Try memorizing the most helpful verse you find.
Pray: Father guide us this week as we seek to clarify our identity in you. May your Holy Spirit remind us daily of your love, your presence and your provision so that we may wholeheartedly embrace that love and express it to those we encounter in the days ahead. Thank you for providing in Jesus a way back into relationship with you despite our sinfulness. Amen.