101 | Setting Captives Free | Bianca Quezada
Setting Captives Free | Mission
Matthew 10:8 & 2 Kings 4:25-37
April 22, 2018
Introduction: What happens when God’s people are sent out into the world? What is God’s purpose in sending people and what happens when God’s people engage with others? This week we explore these questions looking for clues provided by scripture. The verse from the gospel of Matthew was the twelve disciples’ marching orders from Jesus as they were sent out with Jesus’ authority to heal, while the passage from Second Kings involves the prophet Elisha being sought out by a grief-stricken mother who had long recognized Elisha’s power as coming from God.
Prayer: Lord send us on a mission to seek your heart for the world and your purpose for our lives as we set out to examine your Holy Word together. Open our hearts and clarify our thoughts as we read and discuss. Amen.
Read: Matthew 10:8 & 2 Kings 4:25-37
Review: What evidence of the presence and work of the Holy Spirit in your thoughts and actions did you last week?
- What was Elisha empowered by God to give the Shunammite woman?
- Who was commanded to perform the miracles in Matthew 10:8? What other instructions did they receive for this mission? See Matthew 10:1-15.
- What had these disciples received without payment? What are they empowered to give?
- Read Luke 5:18-24. What is the first thing Jesus does for the paralyzed man? What reason does Jesus give for healing the man?
- What does Jesus give to everyone who believes? See John 1:16; John 3:15-16; John 5:24; John 10:27-30. How have you personally experienced these or other gifts from God?
- What gifts has God given you that may be shared with others?
Application: How can you continue Jesus’ healing work? Is there some specific person you are feeling nudged to talk with? Or is there some particular cause or ministry to which God is guiding you?
Pray: Father, help us to be people who project the same love your Son projected as we encounter others this week. May your Holy Spirit give us guidance and direction. We go knowing that it is in your power alone that healing is found. Amen.