School of Love | Love's Labor | George Hinman
1 John 4:1-10
February 12, 2017
Review: Did you find one person to extend God’s love toward tangibly? Share what happened with your group.
Scott asked, “How is Jesus changing your heart from the inside?” What is your answer to this? How will you rely on Jesus as you love others?
Introduction: This is week five of our seven week sermons entitled “The School of Love”. We are seeing what we are able to learn about love from the words of the apostle dubbed ‘The Apostle of Love”. We are hoping to learn how we might live in intentional community designed to retrain our hearts in gospel love.
This week we explore the topic of love that lasts – how God’s love provides us a model for sustaining love toward others.
Pray: Lord, your love never fails. You are utterly faithful in loving us even when we do not return your love. Show us how our love might become more like yours as we study your word together. Amen.
Read: 1 John 4:1-10
- John gives us the assurance (in verse 4) that “the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.” How would you describe the Holy Spirit’s work?
- What did John learn from Jesus about the work of the Holy Spirit? See John 14:16-17, 26, John 15:26, and John 16:7-13 or refer to other scripture passages you may know.
- Which of the aspects of the Holy Spirit’s work in the above passages are comforting to you?
- How does God show his love for us? See verses 9 & 10 with Romans 5:5-10
- How does God’s love sustain your ability to love?
- Can you say the gospel in 25 words or less? Work with you group to find ways of telling the good news clearly and quickly.
Application: Good news is not always easy to remember when the world’s news is bad. Preach the Gospel to yourself every morning this week. Report back to our group how that helped you to love others.
Pray: Lord, help us keep your love constantly in mind. Remind us by your Holy Spirit that your love is always with us this week. We pray that our love for others might become more like yours and that others might be drawn to you by that love. Amen.