Pressing On | Marker 4: Embodying God's Love | George Hinman
Marker 4 | Embodying God’s Love
I Corinthians 13
Review: How did you see the world through new lenses this week? Did this new view alter what you did or said? Did you see mess or ministry opportunity?
Introduction: I John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. The fourth marker of discipleship identified by Session is to be a people who embody the love of Christ to others.
Pray: Lord guide us to understand how to be a people who embody love. Thank you for your deep abiding love for us that gives us the capacity to be lovers of others. Enlighten us now as we study your word together. Amen.
Read: I Corinthians 13
- What outwardly positive acts have you done without love? What was the result? Any profit?
- Which of the qualities of love listed in verses 4-8 has God gifted you with? Which qualities would you like God to add to your actions and attitudes?
- Love is described in verses 4-6 for the most part by what it is not. Try to give the positive trait, action or attitude that corresponds to the negative traits and actions listed.
- How has your ability to love increased as your dependence on God increases?
- What childish patterns of thinking have you put away as you grow in Christ? What bad thought habits would you like to be done with?
- What does it mean to you that you are already fully known by God? (verse12)
- How do your acts of love and kindness reveal Jesus’ love
Application: This week make a conscious effort to exhibit the quality you chose as an answer to question 2 as you interact with others.
Pray: Lord, teach us to love others patiently with kindness and humility this week just as you love us in those ways. Amen.
Download to Print