Pressing On | Marker 2: Yielding to the Spirit | George Hinman
Marker 2 | Yielding to the Spirit
Review: What part of the Story of God and the story of you did you read this week?
Introduction: We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. (From the Nicene Creed as found in the Presbyterian Church (USA) Book of Confessions.)
Pray: Lord, guide our hearts and minds as we look into your words together. Please help us to understand Jesus’ teaching. Amen.
Read: John 14:15-26
- Explain your understanding of who the Holy Spirit is and what work the Spirit does. (You may find the following scriptures helpful. John 15:26,16:7-14; Romans 8:14-17,26-27.)
- What commands of Jesus do you remember?
Here are a few to get you started: Matthew 6:31-34, 22:36-40,28:18-20: John 15:12.
- Think of a time when it was easy to keep Jesus’s words. What was your life like then?
- Which of Jesus’ words are hard for you to keep and why?
- What help for you personally do you find in verse 26?
Application: Pray each day for a life yielded to the Holy Spirit. Look for evidence of God’s response to this prayer.
Pray: God Almighty, Thank you for the gift of your spirit. Help us to know the full measure of this gift as we seek to live for you. Amen.
Download to Print