Come Let Us Adore Him | A Priest Offers a Sacrifice | George Hinman
By Study Guide Writing Team | November 27th, 2016
A Priest Offers a Sacrifice
Luke 1:5-10; Hebrews 9:11-14
Review: Who were you able to reach out to last week from your list of mentors or mentees?
George spoke of comparing our highest grade level of Sunday school as compared with our grade level of Monday school. How does yours compare?
Introduction: During this Advent season we will be exploring together what it means to worship. Our guides to understanding what it means to worship will be those who first worshiped Jesus – the priest Zechariah, the shepherds, the angels, the Magi and Mary.
Pray: Lord Jesus, Emmanuel, be present with us as we open the scripture together. Show us how to wait in hope for your coming. Amen.
Read: Luke 1:5-10: Hebrews 9:11-14
- What was Zechariah doing in the Temple? (See Exodus 30:1,6-8)
- Are Zechariah and Elizabeth in good standing in their culture? Are they considered to be blessed? How do you reconcile goodness and blessing?
- Read the rest of the story: Luke 1:10-25, 57-66. How good are you at waiting for what you want? How good are you at serving while you wait? Describe a time you had to wait for a blessing from God.
- Read Luke 1:76-79. What did God reveal to Zechariah about his son John’s life purpose?
- How does Jesus complete the pattern set by God in the sacrifice system? (See Leviticus 16:29-34 and 1 Peter 2:9-10)
- Read Hebrews 9:11-14. What has Jesus accomplished for you? How do you respond to this?
Application: This week talk to God in prayer about those things for which you most deeply hope. Look for ways that God is encouraging you as you wait.
Pray: Lord, may our hearts and minds be directed toward you in all that we do this week as we strive to learn what it means to worship without ceasing. Amen.
Download to Print