101 | Renewing Your Mind | Ken Sunoo
Renewing Your Mind | Word
John 8:31-32 & John 4:6-29,39
May 6, 2018
Pastor Ken Sunoo
Introduction: In continuing to explore the ways the life of one who belongs to Christ differs from the life of one who does not we look this week at the effect of our discipleship journey on our minds. In Romans 12 the apostle Paul tells us not to conform to the patterns of this world but be transformed by the renewing of our minds. But where does this transformation come from and what does it look like? The story of Jesus’ midday encounter with the Samaritan woman at a well where she had come to draw water provides us with a vivid picture of how a seemingly ordinary encounter with the truth produces extraordinary results.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, the Word made flesh, guide us through your scripture to an encounter with you and grant us the will to submit to your transformation of our minds. Amen.
Read: John 8:31-32 & John 4:6-29,39
Review: What were the results of surrendering your talents to the Lord? Or as George suggested did you remember your identity in Christ every time you pulled out your ID or credit card this week?
- Jesus tells the woman about worshiping the Father in Spirit and in truth. (John 4:23-24) What helper do we have in knowing the Truth? (See John 14:6,16-17,26; John 16:13-15)
- How did Jesus answer the woman’s statement about the Messiah? See also John1:1,14
- What words did the woman use to bring others to Jesus? How was she an unlikely evangelist? (See also 1 Corinthians 1:26-27) What do you think gave her words credibility with the people in the town? How has God used your words to others?
- What rewards are promised to those who study God’s word? See 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Hebrews 4:12; Ephesians 6:17 and John 15:7-11.
- How has your mind been renewed? See Romans 12:1-2 Are there specific changes you have noticed in your way of thinking since becoming a Christian?
Application: What trivia fills your mind? How about filling it with some truth from the Bible? Pick a verse to memorize this week. Be prepared to share it with your group.
Pray: Lord Jesus, the Way, the Truth and the Life, thank you for the ongoing work of transformation you are doing in our lives. May our minds continue to more closely resemble yours in each day ahead until we one day behold the fullness of your glory in your kingdom. Amen.