How can we help?
Has your family temporarily relocated to Seattle for medical treatment? We provide enthusiastic screened and trained volunteers to spend time with your children (patient and/or siblings) for two to five hours per week. If your kids could use a fun playmate (and you could use a break), we’d love to connect with you!
Your volunteer team will customize activities depending on the age, interests, health, and energy level of your child(ren). This may include:
• Playing games or reading stories
• Outings to the Zoo, Aquarium, and/or local parks
• Building and launching a model rocket
• Baking and decorating cookies
• Painting pottery and sharing a treat at University Village
Activities carry no cost for families or volunteers.
• Volunteers are screened by our staff and trained with support from Seattle Children’s, the Ronald McDonald House, and the Hutch School.
• Volunteers follow the buddy system, and are only alone with a child in a public setting (hospital room, playroom, etc.)
• Volunteers will maintain close communication with parents and will follow your lead regarding special concerns.
• If volunteers are not feeling well, they will reschedule the planned activity.
Ready to get started? To refer a family, or refer yourself, click on a button below.
Have questions? Contact Marla.
August 6-11, 2017
Camp Arnold in Eatonville, WA
Camp Side-by-Side is a classic summer camp experience tailored for families who have a child with cancer. It's a week of fun for the whole family, including a ropes course, archery range, water slide, zip-line, horseback riding, silly songs and games, and unforgettable memories. Families are invited at no cost.
Who comes to camp?
• Patients must be within three years of completion of treatment for a cancer diagnosis.
• Camp is designed for families with school-age children.
• Families are invited to participate in three Side-by-Side getaway events in the course of two calendar years. For example, a family who attends Camp Side-by-Side two summers in a row could also attend a Winter Weekend.
CAMP SIDE-BY-SIDE IS FULL FOR 2017. IF YOU'D LIKE TO JOIN OUR WAIT LIST, PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW.
Save the date: Feb 23-25, 2018
IslandWood, Bainbridge Island WA
Join us for this relaxing and refreshing getaway, serving 14-16 families who have a child with cancer. Just a 30 minute ferry ride from Seattle, IslandWood on Bainbridge Island is the ideal location for sharing laughter, rest and togetherness. In true Side-by-Side fashion, the weekend will be rich with unforgettable opportunities to play and relax, including delicious meals, games, art projects, outdoor adventures, revelry around the campfire, and special events.
Ronald McDonald House:
Join Side-by-Side for FUN at the Ronald McDonald House!
Here’s when you can expect us each month:
First Mondays: Dinner and BINGO
Second Mondays: Dinner and Crafts
Fourth Mondays: Dinner and Crafts
Check out the Ronald McDonald House website for more information about activities.