How can we help?
February 23-25, 2018
IslandWood, Bainbridge Island WA
Join us for this relaxing and refreshing getaway, serving 14-16 families who have a child with cancer. Just a 30 minute ferry ride from Seattle, IslandWood is the perfect spot for a weekend of play and rest, including delicious meals, games, art projects, outdoor adventures, revelry around the campfire, and special surprises for kids and adults.
Your first step is to complete the Family Interest Form.
Who is invited to Winter Weekend?
Winter Weekend is designed for families who have a child on active treatment or within six months of active treatment for a cancer diagnosis, usually involving inpatient care and chemotherapy. Activities are geared toward families with children older than 3, though we certainly welcome little ones.
What if I’ve already attended Camp Side-by-Side?
Families are invited to participate in three Side-by-Side camp events in the course of two calendar years. For example, a family who attends Camp Side-by-Side two summers in a row could also attend a Winter Weekend.
What about my child’s medical needs?
Please consult your care providers to ensure the viability of adjusting your child’s treatment plan in order to attend Winter Weekend. Side-by-Side will provide an onsite, full-time team of professional healthcare staff (ARNPs and RNs) from Seattle Children’s and SCCA to support the needs of patients and families.
Where will we stay?
Every family will have their own room and private bathroom. Bedding and towels are provided.
How much does Winter Weekend cost?
There is no charge for families to attend. We will even reimburse your costs for taking the ferry!
Questions? Contact Lisa at email@example.com
August 5-10, 2018
Camp Arnold in Eatonville, WA
Camp Side-by-Side is a classic summer camp experience tailored for families who have a child with cancer. It's a week of fun for the whole family, including a ropes course, archery range, water slide, zip-line, horseback riding, silly songs and games, and unforgettable memories. Families are invited at no cost.
Who comes to camp?
• Patients must be within three years of completion of treatment for a cancer diagnosis.
• Camp is designed for families with school-age children.
• Families are invited to participate in three Side-by-Side getaway events in the course of two calendar years. For example, a family who attends Camp Side-by-Side two summers in a row could also attend a Winter Weekend.
IF YOU'D LIKE TO JOIN OUR EMAIL EARLY BIRD LIST, WE'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN FAMILY INTEREST FORMS ARE AVAILABLE.
Has your family temporarily relocated to Seattle for medical treatment? We provide enthusiastic screened and trained volunteers to spend time with your children (patient and/or siblings) for two to five hours per week. If your kids could use a fun playmate (and you could use a break), we’d love to connect with you!
Your volunteer team will customize activities depending on the age, interests, health, and energy level of your child(ren). This may include:
• Playing games or reading stories
• Outings to the Zoo, Aquarium, and/or local parks
• Building and launching a model rocket
• Baking and decorating cookies
• Painting pottery and sharing a treat at University Village
Activities carry no cost for families or volunteers.
• Volunteers are screened by our staff and trained with support from Seattle Children’s, the Ronald McDonald House, and the Hutch School.
• Volunteers follow the buddy system, and are only alone with a child in a public setting (hospital room, playroom, etc.)
• Volunteers will maintain close communication with parents and will follow your lead regarding special concerns.
• If volunteers are not feeling well, they will reschedule the planned activity.
Ready to get started? To refer a family, or refer yourself, click on a button below.
Have questions? Contact Marla.
Ronald McDonald House:
Join Side-by-Side for FUN at the Ronald McDonald House!
Here’s when you can expect us each month:
First Mondays: Dinner and BINGO
Second Mondays: Dinner and Crafts
Fourth Mondays: Dinner and Crafts
Check out the Ronald McDonald House website for more information about activities.